When committee assignments were being made, I specifically requested a position on the House Natural Resources Committee. I am committed to helping Congress strike a balance for wise management of our public lands and resources. Protecting private property rights and state sovereignty and preserving our western heritage are among my chief priorities on the committee. I will also fight to protect the livelihoods of public land users while ensuring that we are responsible stewards of our natural resources. I am confident that the principles of multiple-use and protecting our environment can go hand-in-hand. To this, I have brought together several key state and national stakeholder groups, the Utah Congressional Delegation, Utah Governor Herbert and Lt. Governor Cox, as well as state and local leaders to establish a framework for a better and more collaborative process that will give greater certainty to the way public lands are manged and used. To read more about the Public Lands Initiative, click here.
|RED AREAS INDICATE ALL FEDERAL LAND IN U.S.|
- The federal government owns roughly 660 million acres in the United States.
- Nearly 1 out of every 3 acres in the U.S. (29%) is owned and controlled by the federal government
- In the West, 1 out of every 2 acres is owned by the federal government.
- Over 90% of all federal land is located in the West
Utah Public Lands Initiative: to build consensus among stakeholders in eastern Utah to
designate lands for conservation and development.
- STAFF REPORT
- RESPONSE LETTERS FROM PARTICIPANTS
- "WHAT THEY'RE SAYING"
- IN THE NEWS: Bishop seeks grand bargain on public lands, Salt Lake Tribune 04/16/13 Compromise, solutions sought in public lands debate, Deseret News 01/13/14
- BISHOP OP-ED
- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- OP-ED FROM EMERY, UINTAH, SAN JUAN, GRAND, CARBON, & WAYNE COUNTY COMMISSIONERS
Public Lands & Education Funding: to ensure that public lands states are able to fund education like states that are mostly privately owned.
Legislation: (H.R. 2852)-The Action Plan for Public Lands & Education (APPLE) Act
|Map: illustrates education funding shortfall for public lands states as compared to non public lands states [link to map]|
Securing Federal Lands Along the Border: to give the United States Border Patrol access to off-limit federal lands that are among the most heavily trafficked.
Legislation: (H.R. 2398)- The National Security and Federal Lands Protection Act
|Map: illustrates 20.7 million acres of land found along southern U.S. border|