Bishop Statement on Appointment to Chair Speaker’s Task Force on Intergovernmental Affairs
Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) announced the creation of the Speaker's Task Force on Intergovernmental Affairs. The Task Force is a bipartisan group of lawmakers focused on studying the proper balance of power between federal, state, tribal and local governments. Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT) was appointed as Chairman of the Task Force and issued the following statement:
"Speaker Ryan has done something unique. He is looking outside of Washington for answers. I thank the Speaker for the opportunity to chair this Task Force.
"The solutions to our nation's problems are found in the creativity of state, local, and tribal governments, all of whom are closer to the people than Washington bureaucrats. Working with these leaders will produce bipartisan solutions and greater coordination to improve the lives of the American people."
1. Partner with states, tribes, and local governments to restore the proper balance of power among governments
2. Provide a forum for states, cities, and counties to showcase their innovation and creativity in solving public policy problems
3. Examine the effects of federal rules and regulations on state and local partners
4. Develop proposals to partner with and empower states, tribes, local governments, private institutions, families and individuals
5. Examine the extent to which the burdens shared among states, tribes and local governments may be re-allocated to improve the quality of life in all communities